Happy Valentine’s Day! These cupcakes are the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for everyone and anyone! I love a chocolate/raspberry combination – definitely one of my all time favorites. This dark chocolate cake is simple, yet rich in flavor. The raspberry curd filling is phenomenal. It’s a sweet, yet slightly bitter curd which adds a special touch. The vanilla buttercream is incredible. If you enjoy a generous amount of vanilla then this is your cupcake. Overall, these chocolate, raspberry, and vanilla flavors work wonderfully together – the perfect combination!
Get ready to make a unique cupcake. I say unique because this isn’t your everyday cupcake. It takes time to develop these powerful flavors and trust me; when you try one you’ll know it was worth it.
1/2 cup Regular Brewed Coffee
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1 cup Butter
1/2 cup Cocoa Powder (Dark Chocolate Cocoa works great for these dark chocolate cupcakes)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3/4 tsp Salt
2/3 cup Sour Cream
1 cup Butter (room temperature)
1 8 oz. package Cream Cheese (room temperature)
2 lbs Powdered Sugar (typically the size of a regular bag)
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
1/8 tsp Salt
1 stick Butter
2 1/2 cups Fresh or Frozen Raspberries (I used frozen – cheaper & they taste just as great!)
6 Egg Yolks
3/4 cup Sugar
1/8 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
Note: I suggest making the raspberry curd before the cupcakes because you should cool and refrigerate before filling.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners. Makes about 20-24 cupcakes.
2. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Once melted whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Add heavy cream, coffee, and vanilla extract and continue to whisk until combined. Heat until a slight simmer. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. In a medium-large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
4. In electric mixer, combine sour cream and eggs. Mix on medium speed.
5. Slowly pour cocoa mixture into egg/sour cream mixture and mix until smooth.
Note: Make sure you add the cocoa mixture slowly! You don’t want to risk cooking the eggs. I spaced it out between three minutes.
6. Once cocoa mixture and egg/sour cream mixture is combined begin adding flour mixture. Add flour mixture in three parts. Mix until smooth and creamy.
Note: Remember to scrap down sides periodically.
7. Fill cupcake cups and bake for 18-20 minutes.
8. Let cool in cupcake pan for a few minutes before removing.
1. In electric mixer, cream butter and cream cheese on medium/high speed.
2. Begin adding powdered sugar one cup at a time. Mix on medium/high speed.
3. Add vanilla extract and salt.
4. Add heavy cream and continue to mix on medium/high speed until creamy and smooth.
1. Melt butter in medium sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Add sugar, raspberries, egg yolks, and salt. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved and raspberries are completely broken down.
3. Cook at a low simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
4. Add lemon juice.
5. Strain mixture through a coarse strainer over a medium bowl. Press as much liquid out of the mixture. Goal is to separate the liquid from the seeds.
6. Let curd cool for an hour or two before covering and refrigerating.
Note: I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate squares for garnish! They’re perfect for a finishing touch.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did! Once you make it the first time I guarantee you’ll be getting requests real soon!
My little helper and I hope you have fun baking! We’ll be thinking about our next recipe!
– Bayley & Ani
8 thoughts on “Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes”
Love your little helper and the cakes are amazing!
Stumbled upon your blog through your facebook posts on the Wheaten page (love your Ani, our Bentley is so much like her!) and so happy I did! Im new to blogging and use blogger for my blog, is there a way to follow you?
Thank you! I’m not sure – I use wordpress so I’m not sure how that works. I should have a follow button I think!
I see a lot of interesting posts on your blog. You have to
spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is a tool that creates unique,
SEO friendly posts in couple of seconds, just search in google – k2 unlimited content
I read a lot of interesting articles here.
Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how
to save you a lot of time, there is an online tool that creates
readable, google friendly articles in seconds, just search in google – k2seotips
When and how do you add the curd to the cupcakes?