Peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch; these flavors are a miracle by themselves, but together, come on! Just too good to be true. These cupcakes are super simple. They’re filled with crazy flavor and are topped with delicious frosting. The peanut butter cake which generously incorporates chocolate and butterscotch chips is amazing! Yes, this is the cake alone. We haven’t even reached the frosting yet! Three all-star flavors baked together in a single cupcake – almost too hard to believe. I will admit, as much I as I love this cake my favorite part is the frosting. Butterscotch is a flavor that seems to be easily forgotten which is unfortunate because it is such a rich distinctive flavor. My favorite special ingredient in chocolate chip cookies is a touch of butterscotch. Adding it in a peanut butter cupcake with chocolate chips – magic!
1/3 cup Canola Oil
3/4 cup Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 3/4 cup Flour
1 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Butterscotch Chips
1 cup Butter – room temperature
1 8oz Package Cream Cheese
2-3 cups Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2-3/4 cup Butterscotch
Pinch of Salt
Note: I used a little more than a 1/2 cup of Butterscotch because I enjoy a stronger butterscotch flavor. All preference! Also, I used Smuckers Butterscotch Syrup instead of making my own. It’s much easier and it tastes great!! You can purchase it at your local grocery store.
Get ready for this one! Super easy!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners. Makes about 12-18 cupcakes.
2. In electric mixer, mix peanut butter and canola oil until smooth.
3. Add brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and eggs and beat until combined and fluffy.
4. In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to electric mixer in two additions.
5. Add milk to electric mixer and mix until smooth.
6. Fold in chocolate and butterscotch chips.
7. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool before frosting.
1. In electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
2. Add powdered sugar in three parts and beat until smooth and creamy on medium/high speed.
3. Add vanilla and salt. Continue to mix.
4. Add butterscotch syrup/sauce. Beat until combined.
Note: Like I previously stated, I used Smuckers Butterscotch Syrup. It’s great and I would suggest using it. I’m not trying to sound lazy, but it saves so much time!
5. Frost your cupcakes!!
Note: I used chocolate covered pretzels as garnish. Anything works!
Enjoy and have fun! Ani sure did….
– Bayley & Ani