You know when you’re in the mood for something specific, but you can’t put your finger on it? That’s where I was at. I was in the mood for a sweet, yet savory cupcake. I racked my brain for a while and then decided I wanted to make a moist and flavorful carrot cake cupcake, but I wanted to jazz it up! Pineapple! Yes, I said pineapple and I promise it was a great decision. A pineapple carrot cake cupcake. Pineapple is easily one of my favorite fruits. It’s sweet, yet tangy, which adds a special touch to this carrot cake recipe.
Don’t feel too guilty about sinking your teeth into this cupcake! Just think, you’ll be getting your fruits and veggies!
Time to get started!
2 cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 cups Carrots – finely shredded – about 6 medium carrots
1 Egg Yolk
1/4 cup Canned Crushed Pineapple – well drained!
3 ounces Cream Cheese – room temperature
2 tbsp Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Note: It’s very important that the pineapple is well drained.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 8-ounce package Cream Cheese – room temperature
1 stick Butter – room temperature
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2-3 cups Powdered Sugar
2-3 tbsp Toasted Shredded Coconut – Optional
Note: I love coconut and wanted to add as a garnish! You could even add sprinkles.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan. Makes about 18-20 cupcakes.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar (2 cups), baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In electric mixer, mix eggs on medium speed. Add carrots, vanilla, and oil – continue to mix on medium/low speed.
Note: Make sure carrots are finely shred. Long thick pieces are no good.
4. Once egg mixture is combined add flour mixture. Continue to mix on medium speed.
Note: Do not fill cupcake liners before the filling is made.
1. In electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar (2 tbsp) until combined.
2. Add egg yolk and salt. Continue to beat on medium/high speed.
3. Fold in pineapple.
Filling cupcake liners-
4. Add 1 tbsp of cupcake mix.
5. On top of the cupcake mix, add 1 tsp of pineapple filling.
6. Fill remainder with cupcake mix (over top of pineapple filling) about 2/3 full.
7. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. In electric mixer, add cream cheese and butter. Beat until combined and smooth.
2. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time. Mix on medium/high speed until creamy.
3. Add vanilla extract and continue to mix.
4. Once everything is combined – frost your cupcakes! But make sure they’re cool!
Toasted Coconut: (2 Methods)
1. Set oven to 325 degrees. Should take about 5-6 minutes to toast coconut.
2. Place coconut on a cookie sheet. Make sure to spread it out.
3. Stir every couple minutes to prevent the coconut from burning. Should be slightly browned.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Stove Top Method-
1. Place coconut in a skillet oven medium heat.
2. Stir frequently until coconut is slightly browned.
3. Remove from heat and transfer to bowl or plate. Allow to cool.
These cupcakes are great with Easter right around the corner. Enjoy this recipe and have fun!
This princess is already licking her lips! Tasty cupcakes!
– Bayley & Ani
One thought on “Pineapple-Carrot Cake Cupcakes”
Hey Bayley… you are totally forgetting your family……I really think I need to taste test these for you OMG! they look Delicious! A… Robyn