A cannoli cupcake!? Yes I know, sounds too good to be true but it isn’t! These cupcakes are a brilliant combination of moist vanilla cake, smooth cannoli filling, and a light cocoa whipped cream. Every aspect of this cupcake screams perfection. I enjoy this cupcake because it’s filling, yet light at the same time. The frosting is so tasty I could eat it spoonful after spoonful. Don’t get me wrong, a buttercream or cream cheese frosting is delicious but they’re much heavier. This whipped cream frosting hits the spot! Definitely a must try! Also, if you’re a cannoli lover this cupcake was made for you.
Get ready! Another simple recipe..
1 1/2 cups Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Salted Butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Sour Cream
Cannoli Cream Topping:
2/3 cup Mascarpone Cheese
2/3 cup Ricotta Cheese (strained slightly)
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
5 tbsp Powdered Sugar
Chocolate Whipped Cream Topping:
1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 tbsp Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (for garnish)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar on medium speed in electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs into mixture one at a time on low speed. Mix in sour cream and vanilla. Occasionally scrape down sides of the bowl. Slowly begin adding flour mixture, again scrapping down sides.
4. Once mixture is smooth, begin dividing batter among 12 cupcake cups.
Note: This batter is very thick compared to other recipes – don’t be startled! Also this recipe only makes 12 cupcakes.
5. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Once finished, remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes in cupcake pan before removing from pan.
Cannoli Cream Topping:
1. In a small to medium mixing bowl mix ricotta and mascarpone. Blend together using a spatula. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue to mix vigorously until creamy and smooth.
Note: To strain ricotta, place ricotta onto a layer of paper towels. Wrap it up and squeeze gently to remove any excess liquid. (The ricotta I used did not require straining because there wasn’t much excess liquid)
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
1. In electric mixer, mix heavy cream, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and vanilla on low speed. Increase speed to medium-high and whip until stiff peaks form.
1. Spread about 1 1/2 tbsp of cannoli filling over the top of each cupcake.
2. Pipe chocolate whipped cream over the cannoli filling layer.
3. Garnish with mini chocolate chips!
Note: Store in an airtight container and refrigerate.
I really enjoyed making these cupcakes. They turned out exactly how I imaged they would. Once finished and garnished they were beautiful!
Enjoy! Promise you cannoli lovers will be pleased.
–Bayley & Ani