I’m really in need of some pleasant weather. Living in Upstate New York, January isn’t a very promising month. Fortunately, this week I’ve had the privilege of enjoying some New Jersey weather which is surprisingly about 10-15 degrees warmer with no snow in sight! It’s been great and it has reminded me of an Upstate New York autumn day. I bet you’re wondering why I’m talking about the weather. Well it’s inspired me to whip up these wonderful seasonal cupcakes! These cupcakes are so rich and savory I promise they’ll leave you wanting more! And of course, like the rest of my recipes, they’re simple!
3 cups All-Purpose Flour
4 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Salt
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Orange Juice
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup Vegetable Oil
2 cups Apples (finely chopped)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium size bowl mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugars until creamy and smooth. Beat in the orange juice, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil. Add flour mixture slowly. Once the mixture is well combined and smooth add the chopped apples.
4. Bake 20-25 minutes.
Make sure cupcakes are completely cooled before frosting!
Ready to make some frosting? This Caramel Buttercream recipe is one of my favorites because, yet again, simple! Most recipes instruct you to make your own caramel sauce which is alright but it’s much more involved and requires more of your valuable time. I make my frosting with a caramel sauce already made and available! Yes, I buy Smuckers Caramel Sauce and it’s awesome!
Caramel Buttercream Frosting
1 cup Butter
1/3 cup Caramel Sauce
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 cups Powdered Sugar
Pinch of Kosher Salt
1. Beat butter in electric mixer for 1 minute (until smooth).
2. Add caramel sauce and vanilla extract. Continue to beat for about 2 minutes.
3. Add powdered sugar (in increments) and salt. Continue to beat, increasing speed or until smooth.
4. Frost your cupcakes!
These cupcakes won’t disappoint!
-Bayley & Ani